Terra Nova

Sharou's Blog as a Globe Trotter

Sunday, July 09, 2006

What? Kyrgyzstan?

(dated June 16, 2006)
Was sitting there having my usual breakfast in the morning at the hotel. Then this asian-looking walked in and started talking to me. Judging the way she dressed and talked, I thought she must have been a Korean or Japanese. I was so wrong when she started telling me about her nation: Kyrgyzstan. She’s here for her daughter’s wedding, who is going to be married to a German this week and the Kyrgyz wedding will take place in Bishkek next week. “I can show you the headwear that my daughter is going to wear upstairs if you have a minute.” Of course, I thought. The triangular headwear represents Tien-Shan (Heaven Mountain) and the black strip underneath symbolizes Kyrgyzstan, the country lies in the foothills of Tien-Shan.

A consultant in cultural and educational issues for her country, she works with international organizations on a regular basis and is well-traveled. Will always remember what she told me when we parted, “ Europe is great but I still love my country better. There is nowhere like Kyrgyzstan, the beauty of the nature. Always remember your root.”

Found myself researching everything about this fascinating country last night for hours after my encounter with Imara (means Moon in Kyrgyz). On the way to the Great Silk Road, Kyrgyz people have been around for thousands of years. However, they did not settle from their nomadic lifestyle until about a hundred years ago. 75% of the 5 million Kyrgyz people are Muslim and 20% are Russian orthodox due to the strong influence its powerful neighbour. Kyrgyzstan only declared independence from Russia in 1991.

Such a beautiful and unexploited country, going to be on my exotic-country-to-visit list. “No whistles and bells, just friendly faces and some mighty big mountains.”

2 Comments:

At 11:46 AM, Blogger Nozomi said...

Great slogan :) miss you girl!

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Claudia said...

hey you! It seems you always meet interesting people, where ever you are ;-) Looking forward to next weekend!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home