Terra Nova

Sharou's Blog as a Globe Trotter

Friday, March 03, 2006

Candy Riot! (Festes de Sant Medir de Gracia)


Was sitting at my desk studying for international taxation (how boring). Then out of sudden I heard some crazy noise with sreaming/yelling from the streets so I immediately went out to my balcony and realized that the streets were packed with kids with plastic bags, marching bands, carriages, and CANDIES! It was nuts!! The procession of carriages were tossing sweets into the crowd and all the kids/adults were shouting and screaming. So lively! There were at least hundreds of people on both sides of Gran de Gracia. Sounded and looked like a riot! Totally had no idea what was going on therefore I went on google and found out that it was actually "Festes de Sant Medir" today in Gracia!

God, I love Gracia!! There were at least 20 marching bands. The entire streets were "trashed" with candies and horse shit..after standing out in my balcony for almost 2 hours watching the parade, I even smelt like horse crap :)

But what amazed me the most wasn't the parade itself but the efficiency of cleaning the aftermath (couldn't believe that the efficiency actually existed here in BCN/Spain:)--the tail of the parade was two BCNeta trucks sweeping and power washing the streets as the procession came to the end. Hard to believe that the street was actually cleaned up in NO TIME.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home