Terra Nova

Sharou's Blog as a Globe Trotter

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Where did my travel bug come from?

Lately, I have been thinking of this question. I wonder why I love travelling so much. I wonder why I just cannot stay in one city and get settled. I wonder where the bugs came from, when I started having the craving for travel.

Looking back what I have done, I think I gradutally see the root of it. Here is my travel chronology, which commenced when I was ten.

summer, 1989: Japan (Okinawa, Fukouka, Osaka, Tokyo, Kyoto, Nagoya)
summer, 1991: West Coast of USA (Hawaii, LA, San Fran, Reno, Las Vegas, San Diego)
summer, 1992: Singapore/Malaysia (one month)
summer, 1994: 15th World Jamboree (Netherlands, Belgium, France, London)
summer, 1999: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
summer, 2000: Vietnam, China (Beijin), LA (24 hours)
May-Dec, 2001: Toronto (Montreal, Ottawa, Niagara etc)
May, 2001: Zurich (the Eagles), Lichtenstein
Oct, 2001: Las Vegas (biz)
Dec, 2001: Chicago (almost couldn't make it back for Christmas)
summer, 2002: San Fran, Thailand (phuket, bankok)
Oct, 2002: Las Vegas (biz)
summer, 2003: Italy (all over Italy for a month)
summer, 2003: Mexico (roadtrip from Guadalajar to Cancun)
September, 2003: Germany (koln), UK (Nottingham)-biz
October, 2003: Las Vegas (biz)
December, 2003: central Vietnam
January, 2004: Taiwan (biz)
summer, 2004: Thailand (backcountry)
November, 2004: Japan (osaka, kyoto, kobe etc)
February, 2005: Cambodia (siem reap), Lao (backcountry)

summer: BARCELONA??

(updated June 15, 2007)
October, 2005: London
December, 2005: Tenerife
January, 2006: Jura, Geneva
April, 2006: Morroco (Marrakash, Dades Valley, High Altas, Sahara)
May, 2006: Paris
summer, 2006: Bonn, Nurumberg, Baltic Seas (all over Deutscheland), Salzberg, Zell am See), Belgium, Amesterdam
September, 2006: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen, HK), Vietnam, Thailand
December, 2006: Andalucia (Granada, Servilla)
April, 2007: Ecuador (Quito, Otavalo, la costa), Columbia
July, 2007: Tulum (Xpu Hua, Mexico), Guatemala, Nicaragua

September,2007-indefinitely: Shanghai

From Asia to North America to Asia then to Europe again, the list will go on......(I am sure of it)

The World Jamboree (scout event) definitely had a huge impact in my life. It had changed the way I looked at the world and culture. It was such a liberating feeling when being one of the 30,000 people from all over the world singing "Future Starts Today" at the arena--we all came from different backgounds yet believed in the same thing (as scouts). Watching the firework going off for an hour in the crowd, I was touched deeply. I believe that this was the time I decided that I wanted to be a global citizen and embraced the world. I must have picked up some "dutch" (or other countries) travel bags during the 10-day camping there :)

It is rather crazy recounting all the cities and countries I have been. However, there are so many places I haven't been just Canada alone. Perhaps, it is time for me to learn this country better, the maritime, the prairies, the yukon and territories. I know a lot of places yet never stayed in a place long enough to know the place well. Is there anything wrong with this pattern? I do not know. Perhaps it is just me, SHAROU, the travel bug, globetrotter, who just cannot stop moving.

1 Comments:

At 1:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey!!!!!! AWESOME!!!!!! Can't wait to read more! love Nozomi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home