Terra Nova

Sharou's Blog as a Globe Trotter

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Darn! Police Clearance Report & Cross Rates

I am prepping for all the document for the student visa application to go to Spain. I almost got everything, except for the police clearance report from the Vietnamese authority. They require all the police clearance reports from all the local authorities where I have resided in the past five years. One of the annoything drawback as a globaltroter--my records are everywhere and I constantly need to request records overseas.

Let's do the math of retreiving this darn piece of paper:
POA from Notary Public = 75CAD + tax
legal and tranlation fee to VN embassy = 81 CAD
courier to Ottawa = 10 CAD
courier to Vietnam = 50 CAD (by fedex)

It is going to cost me over 200 CAD just for this piece of paper.

I went to HSBC this morning to get an idea of wire transfer. Apparently, I am going to have a loss of 500-600USD on currency exchange. Since they cannot do a cross rate (only apply for transfer >30,000 CAD), they will convert my USD saving to Canadian dollars and buy EURO off Canadian dollars. I am losing on the both ends with weaker USD against CAD and stronger EURO against CAD. So frustrating. (Side comment: I don't think the HSBC tellers are very bright when it comes to calculating cross rates.)

Since I have lost my cell phone (couldn't even recall how I lost it), I have been using SKYPE calling long distance. The quality is alright calling within Canada but the reception is VERY BAD calling Vietnam. I am quite frustrated about having to get up 6:00am every morning to make phone calls.

Perhaps I shall reconsider my visit with a palm reader!
Okay, enough with my ranting. Better get on with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home