Terra Nova

Sharou's Blog as a Globe Trotter

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Why am I a CHEAP DRUNK? AFR, AFD, AB, AG, and ALDH Deficiency

Here is my three-pronged analysis of why I am a Cheap Drunk: (being a cheap-drunk asian dork)

Situation: I am a Cheap Drunk! Usually takes me 2 sips to get red and two beers or 1 ½ glasses of wine to be tipsy.

Challenge:
Because I am ASIAN!!

Frustrated by the fact that I haven’t been able to build up my alcohol tolerance with the habitual drinking lifestyle in Spain, I am determined to study the missing ENZYME – acetaldehyde dehydrogenase2 (ALDH2). It appears that half of people with Asian descents suffer from the same syndrome. The real name for the syndrome is Alcohol Flush Reacion (a.k.a Asian Blush, Asian Glow, ALDH deficiency, and Cheap Drunk (my favorite ☺) Lack of ALDH2 resulted in the deficiency in breaking down acetaldehyde, a product of the metabolism of alcohol…

Solution: Apparently, if I take this thing called Pepcid AC (containing Famotidine) an hour before drinking, I may be able to turn myself into an Expensive Drunk. True or not, I am dying to find out!

Source: wikipedia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home