Terra Nova

Sharou's Blog as a Globe Trotter

Sunday, January 17, 2021

star gazing & the black hole

I have always loved stars. It might have something to do with my mom’s persistence of taking us to the planetarium whenever she could when we were kids. Astrology was one of my favourite electives in Uni along with the countless camping, skiing trips and bond fire under the starry skies. 

I am so psyched that I can finally do some stargazing in Grand Canyon (the last time was Joshua Tree) that I even brought my own sky chart. 

This is an indescribable feeling - always in awe when I look up the sky seeing how massive it is packed with brilliant diamonds, big and small, shiny and dull. It is also an unsettling sensation because there are just so many of them and at times I feel I am in the unknown. But I always managed to find the Orion, the Big Dipper, the Summer Triangle (not this time because it’s January and they are way below the horizon). 

It's like being surrounded by the mass in a huge city with no sense of orientation, and out of sudden, I spot a familiar sign that I could use to navigate myself. It gives me peace and calm and also confidence to gradually find my way around. 

Then I find Polaris, the True North, and life is good. 

Kids are less enthusiastic about the stars. They were just entertained wandering the woods with the flashlights looking for wild deer and playing with the ice patch. 

I think of you, the only person that would sit with me in this freezing cold (-10 degree Celsius) with a cup of tea, just gazing the stars for hours and admiring the captivating sight that the universe has created and counting the shooting stars as they showcase their final spectacles. Only you would understand the exact excitement and tranquility right at this moment. 







 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home